Freshman Scholars Institute Online (FSI Online)
Virtual College Adviser (VCA) Job Description
The FSI VCA position is a summer leadership position for experienced Princeton undergraduates. FSI VCAs work closely with small groups of student advisees to promote an appreciation of the diverse Princeton community and to foster a welcoming, safe, and stimulating environment for all residents of the program.
During the summer, FSI VCAs will work closely with the FSI Online Staff to assist FSI Online scholars in the transition to college life and provide guidance as they develop responsible decision-making skills in social, personal, and academic spheres. VCAs provide support as students in their advisee groups manage health and adjustment issues, groupmate relationships, and the demands of academic work and extracurricular activities. They also employ their familiarity with campus resources to serve as vital communications links between all offices and organizations of Princeton and FSI Online students. FSI VCAs are mature, generous, and thoughtful campus leaders who seek to work collaboratively with staff and administration to create a warm, welcoming environment for the entire FSI Online community.
FSI VCAs will receive:
- Financial compensation of $17/hour (12-15 hours/week, for 7 weeks)
- Intensive and inclusive leadership training during both the Spring semester and Summer, including facilitation, mentoring, and communication skills.
Note: This job is fully remote and does not come with housing or board.
Requirements and Expectations
Spring 2023 (Pre-FSI commitment)
- Attending professional development trainings and staff meetings
- Communicating with and disseminating information to accepted Freshman Scholars
- With the guidance of a DSL, the Associate Director of FSI, and the Co-Curricular Coordinator of FSI Online, planning and organizing student activities during the FSI Online period (e.g., special activity nights, weekly activities, etc.)
Summer 2023 (Program Commitment)
In addition to attending and participating in VCA Training during late June (dates/times TBD), FSI VCAs should plan to spend approximately 12-15 hours per week (weekends inclusive) on the following activities during the length of the program (July 7th-August 23rd):
- FSI Online Orientation between July 6th and 7th, weekly Core Meetings (day TBD), and weekly activities.
- Planning the logistics for and facilitating at least TWO 1-hour weekly group meetings for approximately 8-10 Freshman Scholars
- Track attendance and write weekly reports of meetings
- Meeting with mentees individually throughout the week at least once.
- Providing mentorship as well as social, emotional and academic support to Freshman Scholars by facilitating interactive and meaningful connections among students
- With the guidance of a DSL, the Associate Director of FSI, and the Co-Curricular Coordinator, planning, organizing and implementing weekly study breaks and other small-scale social events for Freshman Scholars
- Assisting in connecting students to a range of resources on campus
- Assisting the Associate Director and Co-Curricular Coordinator with virtual community building and communications (e.g., helping to post to, and moderate, online discussion forums and affinity groups)
- Fostering a safe, inclusive and hospitable environment for all students through warm, responsible and mature behavior.
- FSI Online students will be coming to campus a week early for community building and ReOrientation, VCAs will be encouraged to move into their academic year dorm in preparation for these events.
VCA/All Staff Training: Late June (dates and times TBD)
FSI Online Student Orientation: July 6 and 7
College Night: date TBD
Mid-Semester Check-In: date TBD
Early Move In August 21
FSI Re-Orientation: August 22 and 23
EBCAO Kickoff & Official Program End Aug. 24
On Call Period - August 25
Please note that while the programming will be virtual, you must be able to devote 12 assigned hours a week to FSI Online during the program period. If you foresee the need to excuse yourself from program activities at any time during the program dates (June 27- August 23), you will need to get pre-approval from Dr. Ashlee Shaw ([email protected]) and Justin Smith ([email protected]).
Do you have questions about the position or about FSI in general? Try these options:
- You can find more information about the Freshman Scholars Institute at http://fsi.princeton.edu/
- For questions about the position more broadly, please reach out to Dr. Ashlee Shaw ([email protected]) or Chelsie Berg-Geist ([email protected]).
Apply Here by Monday, March 20, 2023 12:00 PM (noon) EDT