Mellon Application Coach
The Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship (MMUF) is a national initiative of the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, designed to support diversification of academia in the humanities and humanistic social sciences. The MMUF operates as a PhD resource and readiness program at 48 colleges and universities, and three institutional consortia, in the United States and South Africa. Princeton University’s MMUF program is one of the longest-running in the nation. Through a combination of weekly workshops, faculty mentorship, a cohort experience, writing support, professional development, research funding, conference presentations, application resources, and connection with a regional and national MMUF network, Princeton MMUF prepares curious and engaged undergraduates to pursue PhDs and enter careers in the professoriate.
The Princeton MMUF 2023 summer program will include a two-week PhD and fellowship application intensive for rising senior Fellows. We are seeking to hire MMUF alumni graduate students who will be paired remotely with one or more rising-senior undergraduates as application coaches, to offer feedback on draft materials that students will be producing during the intensive. Fields include African studies, immigration studies, and gender and sexuality studies; African American studies, East Asian studies, and media studies; African American studies, Palestinian studies, and science and technology studies; archaeology, museum studies, and native and indigenous studies; and education policy, Latine studies, and sociolinguistics.
- Participate in a coaching training the week of August 7 to learn about the curriculum and approaches of the application intensive
- Consult individually with rising-senior undergraduate(s) about selecting PhD programs and fellowships to apply for
- Provide timely and constructive feedback on PhD program and fellowship application drafts–including, but not limited to, research statements, personal statements, diversity statements, statements of purpose, and CVs
- Consult with students on selecting writing samples for PhD program admissions
Responsibilities May Also Include
- Develop and facilitate one or more workshops for all application intensive participants. Workshops may focus on application components–including, but not limited to, research statements, personal statements, diversity statements, statements of purpose, and CVs–or on best practices for application processes like strategic planning around managing multiple applications or communicating effectively to secure letters of recommendation.
Instructions for Applying
Please email a cover letter and CV using the subject “MMUF 2023 MAC Application” to Dr. Afia Ofori-Mensa at [email protected], and Cc EBCAO Manager Christy Kahler at [email protected], no later than Monday, March 20, 2023.
Available Openings: 5
Hours: 5.0 hours per week
Hourly Rate: $22.00/hour
Dates: August 7, 2023 - September 3, 2023
+1 (609) 258-5625